- Yaakov’s arrival to Mitzrayim:
- Sending Yehuda to Goshen: Yaakov sent Yehuda ahead of him to direct him to Goshen.
- Yosef meets his father: Yosef harnessed his wagon and went to meet his father in Goshen. He met with him and fell on his neck and wept. Yaakov said to Yosef “I can die now, after seeing your face, as you are still alive.”
- The brothers meet Pharaoh and settle in Goshen: Yosef told his brothers and father that he will inform Pharaoh of their arrival from the land of Canaan. “The people are shepherds, and they brought with them all their cattle.” Yosef told his brothers “When Pharaoh summons you, and asks of your occupation, tell him that you have always been shepherds, in order so you will be settled in Goshen, as shepherds are an abomination in Egypt.” Yosef came and told Pharaoh of his father’s and brother’s arrival, and settled in Goshen. Yosef took with him five of his brothers and presented them to Pharaoh. Pharaoh asked the brothers as to what they do, and they replied that they have always been shepherds. They asked Pharaoh permission to settle in the land of Goshen, as they have come with a lot of cattle and require grazing land. Pharaoh replied to Yosef that they could settle wherever they desire, and they could settle in Goshen, and if they are capable, you [i.e. Yosef] should appoint them managers of my livestock.
- Yaakov meets Pharaoh: Yosef presented Yaakov to Pharaoh and Yaakov blessed Pharaoh. Pharaoh asked Yaakov as to his age, and he replied that he is 130 years old. They have been few and filled with suffering.