- Moshe warns the Jewish people and ascends the mountain: Hashem descended onto the top of the mountain of Har Sinai and called onto Moshe to ascend, and Moshe ascended. Hashem told Moshe to descend back below and warn the nation [not to come close to the mountain] lest they die. Then Moshe and Aaron are to ascend back onto the mountain although the priests and the people are to remain below, lest they die. Moshe descended to the nation and told them.
- The Ten Commandments:
Hashem spoke all these words saying:
- I am Hashem your God who took you out of Egypt.
- Do not have other deities. Do not make for yourselves an image or picture that is found in the heavens or earth, or underwater. Do not bow down or worship them, as I am a G-d of retribution who gives judgment for the third and fourth generation for those who hate Me, although I do kindness for a thousand generations for those who love me and fulfill my Mitzvos.
- Do not recite Hashem’s name in vain.
- Remember the Shabbos and sanctify it. Six days a week you shall work and on the seventh day it shall be a day of rest for G-d. You shall not do any work, neither you or your son or daughter, or slave or animal. As in six days Hashem created the heaven and earth, the sea and all that is in it, and on the seventh day he rested. Therefore He blessed the Shabbos and sanctified it.
- Honor your father and mother so that you live a long life.
- Do not murder.
- Do not commit adultery.
- Do not steal.
- Do not testify falsely regarding a friend.
- Do not covet the house of a friend, nor his wife, slave, ox, donkey or any of his assets.