Haftorah: Amos 2:6-3:8
Number of Mitzvos:
There are no Positive or Negative commands mentioned in Parshas Vayeishev.
- Where was Yaakov living at the time of the story of the sale of Joseph?
- How old was Joseph at the time of the story of the sale?
- What were the occupation of Joseph and the brothers?
- What similarities were there between Yaakov and Joseph? List all similarities given
- why was Joseph called a young lad by Scripture?
- What gossip did Joseph say about his brothers to his father?
- How was Joseph punished measure for measure for the things he said bad about his brothers?
- Why did Yaakov love specifically his son Joseph?
- What special coat was Joseph given what did it stand for?
- To whom in the family were the brothers of Joseph unable to speak with?
- What caused the brothers to hate Joseph?
- How many dreams did Joseph have?
- One of the brothers continued to hate Joseph after his dreams?
- What was the difference between the first and second dream? List all the differences
- Why did Yosef insist on telling his brothers of the dream?
- Why did Yaakov chastise Yosef only by the second dream?
- Who was Joseph’s stepmother and for how long did she live?
- What was the meaning behind that Joseph’s father and mother would bow to him?
- In which city were the brothers found when Joseph went to look for them?
- Who found Joseph when he was lost in the field?
- How did the brothers refer to Joseph when they saw him coming?
- Which brother secretly tried to save Joseph from being killed and said that rather should be thrown to the pit?
- What were the brothers thinking when they threw Joseph into the pit? Were they trying to kill him or not?
- What did the brothers plan on telling Yaakov that happened to Joseph?
- What do they do the Joseph prior to throwing him into the pit?
- What was inside the pit Joseph was thrown into?
- Which brother suggested to take Joseph out of the pit and sell him as a slave?
- Who was Joseph sold to?
- Where did the Ishmaelites come from when they arrived by Joseph?
- Why did Judah state that they should not spill the blood of his brother when they decided already not to do so and rather simply throw them into the pit.
- For how much money was Joseph sold for?
- The verse mentions Midianites and Ishmaelites in the sale. What’s going on? Who was he sold to in the end?
- What did Reubein do when he saw that Joseph was no longer in the pit?
- Where was Ruben this entire time?
- What animal was slaughtered and its blood used to pour on Joseph’s shirt?
- What did Yaakov do when he discovered the death of his son Joseph?
- Did Yaakov have daughters?
- What was the position of Potiphar in Egypt?
- What happened to Judah after the sale?
- What was the name of Judas father-in-law?
- Who does the brothers marry?
- What were the names of Judah’s three sons?
- What was the name of the city that Sheila was born in?
- Who gave the names to Judah’s sons?
- What was the name of the wife of Judah’s oldest son?
- What is the name of Judas friend who went with him to graze the sheep?