The people in times of Chizkiyah repent:
- The people who previously walked in darkness, have now seen a great light [and repented of their sins].
- Yeshayahu describes the salvation from the hands of Sancheirev, and his utter downfall.
- Yeshayahu explains that all this was done in merit of King Chizkiyahu.
The people of Israel do not repent despite their suffering and punishment:
- The prophet now bemoans the fact that the Jewish people refuse to repent even after they were attacked and suffered tremendously in the hands of surrounding nations.
- The prophet rebukes the leaders who do not take charge of leading the Jewish people back to the path of righteousness.
- They were so evil, that G-d would not even have mercy on the widows and orphans.
- G-d brought a famine that caused the people to need to eat the flesh of their own children.