Tuesday, 18th Iyar 5783/May 9, 2023
Parshas Behar Bechukosai
Shelishi when connected to Bechukosai
- Selling and redeeming a house:
- Walled city: If a man sells a house that is within a walled city, then it can be redeemed only within the first year of the sale. If it was not redeemed within the first year, it becomes the property of the buyer and remains with him forever, even after Yovel.
- Unwalled city: If, however, the city is unwalled, it may be redeemed until the Yovel. If it was not redeemed before the Yovel, then when the Yovel arrives it is to be returned to its owner.
- Selling and redeeming Levite property:
- Houses of Levites: The houses of Levites found within their cities retain eternal redemption rights by the Levites and they hence may be redeemed at any time. If they are not redeemed they are to be returned to their original Levite owner by Yovel.
- Levite fields: The open fields of the city of the Levites may never be sold, as it is an eternal heritage for them.
- The Mitzvah of Charity and lending money without interest:
- If your brother becomes impoverished, you shall support him so that he can live with you.
- Ribis: One is not to collect interest from the loan to the pauper and you shall fear G-d and allow your brother to live with you. Do not lend him money with interest. I am Hashem your G-d who took you out of Egypt, to give you the land of Canaan.
Tanya Beginning of Chapter 49
1. The three general Tzitzumim-Contractions:
- The many contractions: In general, there are many detailed contractions which conceal the infinite light of God within the descending order of the worlds until this physical world was able to be created. These contractions are so great in quality type, and number that they are too many to count.
- The three main contractions: Nonetheless, in general there are three major contractions which include all the other myriads of contractions. These are the contractions which created the three worlds of Beriyah Yetzira and Assiyah.
- The world of Atzilus: The world of Atzilus is not included within the worlds of major contractions as this world is actual G-dliness.
- The contraction of the world of Beriyah: The world of Beriah consists of the higher souls and angels who serve Hashem with their intellect, through comprehending G-dliness. For this world to be created contain the existence of separate beings and give it the potential for G-dliness to be comprehended, a great and powerful contraction was required to take place.
- The contraction of the world of Yetzirah: The world of Yetzira is much lower than the world of Beriah, and hence although the light found in the world of Beriya is itself limited and minute, it is considered unlimited in relation to the world of Yetzira, and thus cannot be invested within this world. For this world to be created, a second great and powerful contraction was required to take place.
- The contraction of the world of Assiyah: The world of Assiyah is much lower than the world of Yetzira, and hence although the light found in the world of Yetzira is itself limited and minute, it is considered unlimited in relation to the world of Yetzira, and thus cannot be invested within this world. For this world to be created, a third great and powerful contraction was required to take place.
2. The purpose of the Tzitzumim:
- Create man to do Iskafya: The purpose of all the above-mentioned “contractions” was to create the human body, and in turn to then have this body of man subjugate evil and bring light out from darkness.
- Elevating the soul to G-d: One accomplishes shining light through the darkness through elevating one’s G-dly and animal soul and its garments and soul powers all to Hashem. This is the entire purpose of the progressive descent of the worlds.
3. Reciprocating the love for G-d:
- Through contemplating all the above one should come to a recognition of how much he should love G-d and go beyond his way on behalf of G-d, and should equally desire to do so.
- The contemplation: One should contemplate the above how G-d contracted his great infinite light with three different forms of contractions all in order to create man. This itself was due to His great love for us, to give lowly beings the opportunity to elevate themselves back to G-d, as love forces one to perform actions that otherwise he would not do.
- Giving up everything for G-d: Accordingly, how much more so should man reciprocate this love and action of G-d and give up everything he possesses, both spiritually and physically, on behalf of G-d, in order to attach to Him with a great love and attachment, and not let anything get in his way, not bodily matters, money or wife and children.
Leave A Comment?
You must be logged in to post a comment.